nanog mailing list archives

Re: PPPoE vs. Bridged ADSL

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:02:59 +1030

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:33:58 -0700
Walter Keen <walter.keen () rainierconnect net> wrote:

   Most aDSL modems if set to PPPoE (I think Actiontec's come this way by
   default) will send the mac as the pppoe un/pw.
   David E. Smith wrote:

Opinions on this? I'd be interested in hearing the latest real world
experience for both and the direction most folks are going in.

DOCSIS cable networks use DHCP and have for a long time. If you have
Ethernet based DSLAMs, they can usually do the a number of tricks (e.g.
Option 82 insertion into the DHCP request) that would make a DHCP ADSL
deployment no harder (or easier) than a DOCSIS cable network.

It seems to me that the fundamental purpose of PPPoE is to be able to
uniquely identify the customer for billing/provisioning purposes. Even
though you only need to be able to do that at the start of their
session, with PPPoE you pay an 8 byte per packet overhead, on _every_
packet sent and received by the customer. Other methods of
distinguishing the customer, e.g. Option 82, static DHCP mapped to a
customer MAC address, or possibly 802.1x if it were available, have
much, much lower overhead.

I think PPPoE really only exists to make ADSL look like high speed
dial-up, so that ISPs dial up backend systems didn't need to be changed
when ADSL was introduced. That was a valid concern in the past, but
with existing solutions or models such as the DOCSIS Cable methods, and
Ethernet based DSLAMS, I'd suggest avoiding PPPoE if you can.

I can't speak to which would be better on copper specifically, but in

general I'd favor DHCP over PPPoE. Either way, most of the back-end stuff
will be similar (you'll need a way to authenticate users, turn them off and
on, et cetera); the differences won't be all that big. Either you're storing
their MACs in a database, or their port assignments and VLAN tags, or their
usernames and passwords.

With PPPoE, however, the end-user can't just plug in and go - they'll have
to configure their PC, or a DSL modem, or something. That means a phone call
to your tech support, most likely. In many cases, DHCP can lead to
plug-and-play simplicity, which means they don't have to call you, and you
don't have to answer their calls. Everyone wins. :)

David Smith
MVN.net

--

Walter Keen