nanog mailing list archives

Re: Upstream BGP community support

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 00:26:57 -0500

On Nov 1, 2009, at 5:11 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 17:06 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
The answer is fairly simple. Does your business benefit by having the
ability to modify routing strategy as you see fit?

hint: we live in a commons

Yes. I was about to ask Tony "what if *their* business benefits by NOT
giving you the ability to modify routing strategy as you see fit?"

What's the answer then?

To answer your question, obviously each network should do whatever is in their best interest. But isn't it in a transit provider's best interest to make their customers happy? :)

However, I'm pretty sure that's not what Randy meant. Randy frequently (and correctly) points out that the Internet is a shared resource. What you do can affect others.

BGP sucks, but it's the only thing we have.  So try not to break it.

OTOH: The Internet is not a science project. I'm not even going to say "any more", since no one should be confused about that today. Transit providers are almost always for-profit companies. These two basic facts create an interesting dynamic. Everyone wants to do what is best for themselves to make more money, but what one network does affects other networks. Finding a happy medium is hard, mmmmm-KAY.

I personally believe transit providers should support communities. I don't think the added complexity is too dangers, and I think it will help add to the profit of providers. Others may disagree. But as someone (either Richard or Paul, sometimes I have trouble telling them apart) pointed out, it's been happening for a long time. "Past performance is no guarantee of future profit", but it does give one at least a little confidence that supporting community tags will not collapse the Internet tomorrow.

End of day, I'll just fall back on what I always say: Your Network, Your Decision. But try to remember that Your Network is connected to everyone else's network.

--
TTFN,
patrick