nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo () tzi org>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 15:57:53 +0200

On May 4, 2009, at 10:08, Nathan Ward wrote:

Forwarding these requests up to the ISP's router and having several PDs per end customer is in my opinion the best way to go.

If the ISP sees (and has to hand out) the PD, some bean counter will put a price tag on it ("differential pricing"). If there is a price tag on it, nobody will pay the higher price, and everybody will put in a kludge to get by with one /64. Think about it: That's exactly the reason why we got mired in the InterNAT.

Really, /56 for everyone is the only way back to an Internet.

Gruesse, Carsten