nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 11:47:22 -0700

Carsten Bormann wrote:
On May 4, 2009, at 10:08, Nathan Ward wrote:

Forwarding these requests up to the ISP's router and having several
PDs per end customer is in my opinion the best way to go.

If the ISP sees (and has to hand out) the PD, some bean counter will put
a price tag on it ("differential pricing").
If there is a price tag on it, nobody will pay the higher price, and
everybody will put in a kludge to get by with one /64.
Think about it: That's exactly the reason why we got mired in the InterNAT.

Really, /56 for everyone is the only way back to an Internet.

As cool as it would be to have the internet fully routable, I would be
surprised if it would happen because of the "how little can we get away
with giving the customer so we can charge for upgrades" mentality.

~Seth