nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 07:49:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Karl Auer wrote:

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 07:12 +0200, Carsten Bormann wrote:
Really, /56 for everyone is the only way back to an Internet.

Sorry, I don't see why /56 is qualitatively different to a /60.

Honest question - what's the difference?

Because more is more, and it makes it less likely that people will start to invent silly solutions to problems that do not really exist. With a /56, I can't really imagine this being not enough for 99.9% of households in 10 years, whereas I CAN imagine a household that needs more than 16 subnetworks, plus the PD model described in an earlier email makes a /56 more suited for chaining.

We have no address shortage, there is little good to come out of trying to use as few IPv6 addresses as possible by means of constraints that are not necessary (let's be "wasteful" the first 50-100 years and "waste" the first /3, then we can look into if this is a problem or not).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se