nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP best practices

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:09:40 -0400

You're correct on the blanket statement.  apologies.

--C

Joe Abley wrote:

On 21-May-2009, at 11:06, Curtis Maurand wrote:

Check out www.powerdns.com as an alternative to bind. Its faster, more secure, does IPV6 and easier to maintain.

I have heard lots of good things about PowerDNS, and I'm quite prepared to believe that it's a natural choice for a DNS hosting service where the database back-end makes for far simpler provisioning and control than managing a pile of config files.

However, you're not necessarily doing anybody any favours in making statements like "faster", "more secure" and "does IPv6". DNS servers are complicated beasts, and simplistic comparisons are not useful for much (it'd be trivial to give you examples where PowerDNS is slower and less secure, for example, and BIND9 has done IPv6 for the better part of a decade).

Joe