nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 14:49:01 -0500

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
Why wouldn't DHCPv6-PD work within the home as well as between the ISP and the home?

DHCPv6-PD requires manual configuration.

I see little reason why the main home gateway can't get a /56 from the ISP, and then hand out /62 (or whatever) to any routers within the home that asks for PD?

Sure, but how does the router know it needs to hand out a /62? Then what about the router after that? Does it hand out a /61? then the router behind that?

What if the ISP only gave a /60?

The problem with automatic arbitrary splitting of a prefix into smaller prefixes is that the entire topology is unknown. In such a case, bidirectional communication is useful, as is multiple prefix assignments to a single node generated from chaining DHCPv6-PD requests.

PD is not designed for multiple stage delegations without manual configuration for each stage.

Even the PD clients I tried on linux failed horribly in how they assigned a prefix to the interfaces. One of them just took the prefix length and divided it by the number of interfaces. Another, which I ended up using allowed you to set the bits to use as a subnet, but that meant you had to know the length from the ISP, and then the desired length on each of the interfaces to set the appropriate SLA (ie, I couldn't tell it I want a /64 on the interface, but instead had to tell it the SLA is 4 bits, which from a /60 would give a /64, but if I received a /56 it would break and have to be changed to 8 bits).

-Jack