nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 11:42:19 -0700

Joe Maimon wrote:

Joe Greco wrote:

One of the goals of providing larger address spaces was to reduce (and
hopefully eliminate) the need to burn forwarding table entries where
doing so isn't strictly necessary.  When we forget this, it leads us
to the same sorts of disasters that we currently have in v4.

... JG

And if you are encouraging /48 handouts, /32 isnt large enough to
prevent that on the global level.

What remains to be seen is what will happen when someone says "hey, my
/32 is full, I need another one". Will it be:

a) Sure, here's another /32, have fun!
b) You didn't subnet very efficiently by current standards even though
it was encouraged in the past; try to reclaim some space internally.

~Seth