nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dynamic IP log retention = 0?

From: William Herrin <herrin-nanog () dirtside com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:57:59 -0400

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Peter Beckman <beckman () angryox com> wrote:
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Joe Greco wrote:

In our neighbourhood, we don't have a high crime rate.  Despite that,
if we saw someone walking from house to house, trying doorknobs, we'd
call the cops.  The fact that everyone has locks on their doors does
not make it all right for someone to go around from house to house to
see if they're all locked.

 However, it's not illegal, AFAIK.  It's only illegal if you enter.  Either
 that, or I'm gonna go prosecute some Girl Scouts.

Actually, in most jurisdictions trying strangers' doorknobs is
probably misdemeanor disorderly conduct, typically punishable by fines
of a few hundred dollars and jail for a few months. More often than
not used as a threat: "Sir, you need to leave the neighborhood or
you'll be arrested and charged with disorderly conduct."

That's what "disorderly conduct" is for: folks who are obviously doing
something they ought not be doing but for which an explicit law has
not been written.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004