nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are we really this helpless? (Re: isprime DOS in progress)

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:01:46 +1100

In message <8C5F1FEC-FF51-4BA2-A762-C13BC275E806 () virtualized org>, David Conrad writes:
It would seem that as ISPs implement DPI and protocol-specific traffic
shaping, they damage the arguments that they can make claiming they
have "common carrier" status with the inherent immunities that status
provides.  I can hear the argument now: if an ISP can throttle
BitTorrent (or whatever) for specific nodes, why can't they also limit
the source addresses of packets coming from those nodes?

        They can and should.  I suspect many of them do as they
        usually apply these filters to home networks.

        BCP 38 is ~10 years old now.  It should have been factored
        into the purchasing decision of all the current equipement.
        If it wasn't then the operator was negligent.

        Mark

Regards,
-drc

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews () isc org