nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are we really this helpless? (Re: isprime DOS in progress)

From: Jamie A Lawrence <jal () jal org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:50:09 -0500

On Jan 23, 2009, at 10:31 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:33:14 PST, Seth Mattinen said:

Back to my original question: is there really not a better solution?

Well, we *could* hunt down the perpetrators, pool some $$, and hire 3 or 4 baseball-bat wielding professional explainers to go explain our position to them. Figuring out how to do so without breaking any laws is the tough part..

The Cameros or SUVs and baseball bats are normally not in sync with local legal traditions, depending on your local legal statutes. A certain ISP in California, however, seems to have learned a more subtle lesson, perhaps with left more satisfying results. And while I don't think that is any serious fix, I also think that there might well be a deterrence effect, to whatever extent that works - it might not kill a system, but it can provide deterrence. Hell, I expect the perpetrator for this attack to be on this list. So it becomes more more step on the arms race.