nanog mailing list archives

Re: Security team successfully cracks SSL using 200 PS3's and MD5 flaw.

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:58:12 -0500

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:49:24 -0500
Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net> wrote:

Of course, this will just make the browsers pop up dialog boxes
which everyone will click OK on...

And brings us to an even more interesting question, since everything
is trusting their in-browser root CAs and such. How trustable is the
auto-update process? If one does provoke a mass-revocation of
certificates and everyone needs to update their browsers... how do
the auto-update daemons *know* that what they are getting is the real
deal?

[I haven't looked into this, just bringing it up. I'm almost certain
its less secure than the joke that is SSL certification].

If done properly, that's actually an easier task: you build the update
key into the browser.  When it pulls in an update, it verifies that it
was signed with the proper key.