nanog mailing list archives

Re: real hardware router VS linux router

From: Leen Besselink <leen () consolejunkie net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:29:02 +0100

William Warren wrote:
On 2/19/2009 9:37 AM, Ryan Harden wrote:
While you could probably build a linux router that is just as fast as a
real hardware router, you're always going to run into the moving pieces
part of the equation.

In almost all scenarios, moving parts are more prone to failure than
non-moving parts.

Regardless of what you find out in your research, consider the above in
your cost-benefit analysis.

/Ryan

Deric Kwok wrote:

Hi All

Actually, what is the different hardware router VS linux router?

Have you had experience to compare real router eg: cisco VS linux
router?

eg: streaming speed... tcp / udp

Thank you for your information

ssd's remove the spindle from the equation..otherwise they both have
fans that do fail.

And I had a ticket from a few months ago with one of our transit-providers
because they had a Juniper router reboot, it turned out this was because
a harddisk failure of one of the routing engines.

So 'real'-routers have those moving parts as well. ;-)