nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 20:10:12 +1300

On 6/02/2009, at 1:01 PM, David W. Hankins wrote:

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 05:12:19PM -0600, Jack Bates wrote:
Operationally, this has been met from my experience. In fact, all of these
items are handled with stateless DHCPv6 in coordination with SLAAC.
Stateful DHCPv6 seems to be limited with some vendors, but unless they plan
to do proxy-nd, I'm not sure they'll gain much except for end system
compatibility.

SLAAC fails in the end because you cannot predict what address the
client will choose.

So it fails in scenarios where enforcing network policy is important.

It works fine, you set the additional information flag, and the host goes to the DHCPv6 server and you can now do whatever dynamic network policy you want. This might break with privacy extensions, I'm not sure.

I'm a bit confused though - do you consider it to be a good idea to set network policy differently for multiple hosts on a single broadcast domain? There are some people that do that, but as Randy would say, it is something that I would encourage my competitors to do.

--
Nathan Ward