nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 18:22:30 +0100 (CET)

The problem is that DHCP seemed like a good idea at the time but it
doesn't make any sense today. We know that parsing complex binary data
formats is asking for security problems.

And parsing complex text data structures is better?

What we need is a simple, fast, efficient way to distribute the basic
information that a host needs to start sending and receiving packets
and a pointer to a place where additional location dependent
configuration information can be found. That would be: address+prefix,
gateway and (arguably) DNS and then something like a URL for a server
that has the config info. The system and applications can then load
information from the config server over HTTP in XML format or some such.

No, this information must be available in *one* place. It's called a
DHCP server. As an operator, this is clearly what I want, both for IPv4
and IPv6.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no