nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:50:55 -0600

sthaug () nethelp no wrote:
No, this information must be available in *one* place. It's called a
DHCP server. As an operator, this is clearly what I want, both for IPv4
and IPv6.

DHCP is available, spec'd and implemented on some systems. However, there are times that DHCP fails (from my experience).

Two routers, 2 default routes. Support for shim6 or other multiple IP protocol. 2 routers, 2 global IP's assigned to the host, different default routes, and support for backup default route to opposite router.

There are lots of cool things that RA's are used for, and assigning an address is just one of them.

This argument over DHCP seems to be more noise; as there's room for both, and the specs and implementations exist for both. Cable modems, in particular, have a DHCP oriented nature to them; and while there are bugs being worked out on specific implementations (according to cable operators I know), they will be using DHCP with IPv6 as well.

Jack