nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space (IPv6-MW)]

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:15:02 -0500

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:18:15 -0500, Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca> wrote:
On 5-Feb-2009, at 13:44, Ricky Beam wrote:
This is the exact same bull**** as the /8 allocations in the early days of IPv4.
So in fact it's not *exactly* the same.

Just because the address space is mind-alteringly larger does not mean the same flawed thought process isn't being used. In the mid-80's, /8's were handed out like candy because there were "lots of address space" and "we'll never use it all." Well, that didn't last very long. I've listened to IPv6 advocates singing that same song for a decade. They are doomed to repeat the same mistake. (sure, it'll take longer than with IPv4.)

You might like to review the DHCPv6 specification and try some of its implementations.

IPv6 was designed to "not need DHCP." DHCPv6 has come about since people need more than just an address from "autoconfiguration".

I can recall many posts over the years from the IPng WG telling people they didn't need DHCP.

--Ricky