nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems

From: Tim Durack <tdurack () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:28:02 -0500

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net> wrote:

Joe Loiacono wrote:

Indeed it does. And don't forget that the most basic data object in the
routing table, the address itself, is 4 times as big.

Let's also not forget, that many organizations went from multiple
allocations to a single allocation. If we all filter anything longer than
/32, we'll rearrange the flow of traffic that many over the years have
altered through longer prefixes. Even I suspect I may occasionally have to
let a /40 out now and then to alter it's traffic from the rest of the
aggregate. Traffic comes to you as it wants to come to you. The only pseudo
remedy that currently exists is to move some prefixes over to a different
path. If you only have a /32, that'll be a bit hard.

This, more than anything, is what will effect this list and the people on
it where IPv6 is concerned. Filtering longer than /33, 35, 40? Dare we go to
/48 and treat them as the new /24? I know for myself, traffic manipulation
can't begin until /40 (unless I split them further apart).

Given that ARIN at least is assigning end-user /48s out of 2620::/23 it
would be useful to accept these announcements. If not end-user PI is dead in
the water. Some providers might like that. End-users probably won't.

Tim:>