nanog mailing list archives

Re: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 00:17:58 +0100

Skeeve Stevens wrote:
[please fix your line length, my screen is still not a 100"]

Owned by an ISP?  It isn't much different than it is now.

As long as you are multi-homed you can get a small allocation (/48),
APNIC and ARIN have procedures for this.

Yes, you have to pay for it, but the addresses will be yours, unlike
the RFC1918 ranges which is akin to 2.4Ghz wireless.. lets just share
and hope we never interconnect/overlap.

I can't find a RFC1918 equivalent for v6 with the exception of
2001:0DB8::/32# which is the ranges that has been assigned for
documentation use and is considered to NEVER be routable.  In that /32
are 65536 /48's... way more than the RFC1918 we have now.

Documentation is exactly that: Documentation.
Do not EVER use that in a real box.

If you need 'RFC1918 alike' space then go for ULA (RFC4193).
Also see http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/ for a semi-registered
version of that. If you want "guaranteed unique" then go to a RIR.

If I was going to build a v6 network right now, that was purely
private and never* going to hit the internet, and I could not
afford to be a NIC member or pay the fees... then I would be using
the ranges above.... I wonder if that will start a flame war *puts on
fire suit*.

Google goes straight through that suit, I suggest you use it and read up
on IPv6. Even the Wikipedia entry contains this information.
google(rfc1918 ipv6) or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Greets,
 Jeroen