nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:19:50 -0500

Joe Greco wrote:
We've *already* subsidized the telcos $200 billion for a next generation
broadband-capable plant, that was supposed to be LEC-neutral...

Yeah, not every telco participated, though the RBOCs sure did.

So, we've *already* paid the plant cost, and we've gotten nothing much in
return.

Looking at just Oklahoma, I'm not sure AT&T could get even 200kb to every household for $200b.

More interesting, I'd be curious to see how well NSP's could handle the increase in traffic if every house support 45mb of Internet (not local video/voice). I'd love to see some good data on how the average throughput changes as the rates go up, especially with the continued increase of higher bandwidth video.

Jack