nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:05:38 -0500 (CDT)

JC Dill wrote:
IMHO the biggest obstacle to defining broadband is figuring out how to
describe how it is used in a way that prevents an ILEC from installing
it so that only the ILEC can use it.  If the customer doesn't have at

Oh, that's easy. If the government pays for 90% of the plant cost, I'm
sure ILECs would love to share it with everyone else. Until then, put
your own plant in. As an added bonus, when you put your own plant in as
a CLEC, you can just serve the profitable areas and leave the poor ILEC
having to serve the barn 15 miles from the nearest neighbor.

Huh?  Wait, don't drink anymore of that, guys!

We've *already* subsidized the telcos $200 billion for a next generation
broadband-capable plant, that was supposed to be LEC-neutral...

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070810_002683.html

So, we've *already* paid the plant cost, and we've gotten nothing much in
return.

... JG