nanog mailing list archives

Re: Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

From: Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel () mamane lu>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:02:19 +0200

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:57:31AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:24:38PM -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:40:30 -0400, Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net> wrote:

SSL and FTP are techincal justifications for an IP per site.

No they aren't.  SSL will work just fine as a name-based virtual
host with any modern webserver / browser. (Server Name Indication
(SNI) [RFC3546, sec 3.1])

"I encourage my competitors to do this."  You only have to get one
noisy curmudgeon who can't get to your customer's SSL website
because IE 5.0 has worked fine for them for years to make it a
completely losing strategy to try deploying this everywhere.  Since
you can't predict in advance which sites are going to be accessed by
said noisy curmudgeon, you don't bother deploying it anywhere, to be
on the safe side.

The switch to "HTTP requests include a hostname" had the same problem,
but still did occur; it may take a few years, but doable. Probably too
late to save IPv4 addresses; though. By then (I really, really, hope)
IPv6 will be mainstream.

--
Lionel