nanog mailing list archives

Re: Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:27:14 +0000

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:17:38AM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:

On 21-Apr-2009, at 21:50, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:24:38PM -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:

FTP?  Who uses FTP these days?  Certainly not consumers.  Even Cisco
pushes almost everything via a webserver. (they still have ftp
servers,
they just don't put much on them these days.)

    well, pretty much anyone who has large datasets to move around.
    that default 64k buffer in the openssl libs pretty much sucks
    rocks for large data flows.

So you're saying FTP with no SSL is better than HTTP with no SSL?

Joe

        (see me LEAPING to conclusions....)

        yes.  (although I was actually thinking  http w/ SSL vs FTP w/o SSL)
        a really good review of the options was presented at the DoE/JT meeting
        at UNL last summer.  Basically, tuned FTP w/ large window support is
        still king for pushing large datasets around.

--bill