nanog mailing list archives

Re: downloading speed

From: Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:11:47 -0600

chandrashakher pawar wrote:

We are level one ISP. one of my customer is connected to fast ethernet.
His link speed 100,000 kbps. while downloading any thing from net he
downloading speed donot go above 200 kbps.
While doing multiple download he get aroung 200 kbps in every window. But
when he close all the windows no change in downloading speed is observed.

As others have mentioned, duplex mismatch is a good cause. If you have a client with java support, give the NDT a try as this is something it claims to detect:

http://ndt.anl.gov:7123/

There's a master site list available here so you may wish to find a closer test site:
http://e2epi.internet2.edu/ndt/ndt-server-list.html

Caveat: I think most of them are Internet2 only. I know the ANL and CERN sites are accessible to us but didn't try them all.

Mike