nanog mailing list archives

RE: amazonaws.com?

From: Tony Finch <dot () dotat at>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:59:39 +0100

On Tue, 27 May 2008, michael.dillon () bt com wrote:

But a more advanced intelligence will wonder why we have to have an SMTP
server architecture that invites attacks. Why, by definition, do SMTP
servers have to accept connections from all comers, by default? We have
shown that other architectures are workable on the Internet, where
communications only take place between peers who have prearranged which
devices talk to which. This worked for USENET news and it works for
exchanging BGP route announcements.

Of course there's no unwanted traffic on USENET or BGP. Everyone de-peers
Tiscali when their customers' compromised home computers perform DDOS
attacks.

As long as we don't fix the architecture of Internet email, we
are stuck with the catch-22 situation that Amazon, and all hosting
providers find themsleves in. These companies really have no choice
but to allow spammers to exploit their services until the spamming
is detected, either proactively by the provider, or reactively by
a complaint to their abuse desk.

Nothing prevents Amazon from implementing a hierarchial email delivery
network for their little corner of the net. They just have to block
outgoing port 25 and require their users to use Amazon's smarthosts.

I don't see how, in your preferred replacement email architecture, a
provider would be able to avoid policing their users to prevent spam
in the way that you complain is so burdensome.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot () dotat at>  http://dotat.at/
HUMBER: SOUTHEAST VEERING SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7, PERHAPS GALE 8 LATER. MODERATE OR