nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 23:19:59 +0200

On 7 mei 2008, at 23:08, Nathan Anderson/FSR wrote:

How so?  Iljitsch is suggesting that ICMP blockers originate packets
without DF set if they are going to block the ICMP messages that PMTUD
needs in order to work in the first place.  That's what (I think) he
means by "disabling path MTU discovery."

Yes.

Also, for some reason, as I pointed out before, XP black hole router
discovery doesn't seem to be working for me for whatever reason.  Does
anybody have any clue why that might be the case?

The problem is in the direction from M$ to you, so you can't fix that
from your end. I wonder if they've installed SP3 on their servers...