nanog mailing list archives

Re: Customer-facing ACLs

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:46:20 +0900

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008, Jon Lewis wrote:

The solution, of course, is to hire consultants (SIBR if possible) to port
everything to port 80 !

That's been going on for years.  Back when it was common for ISPs to run
squid servers and transparently proxy to them (probably around 2000), I
ran into a customer using some sort of aviation data in real time app
which used port 80 (and wasn't HTTP).  I had to special case traffic to
that service's IP to get it not to hit squid.  When I asked them why they
were running a non-HTTP protocol on 80/tcp, the answer was "that gets us
through most firewalls."

There's patches to Squid to make it silently transparently proxy stuff
that doesn't look like HTTP.

(I need to make it knob-able before I commit it, as some people -like- having
the "must be HTTP" implication of transparent interception.)

Adrian