nanog mailing list archives

Re: Abuse response [Was: RE: Yahoo Mail Update]

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:57:45 -0400

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:07:42AM +0100, michael.dillon () bt com wrote:
If people had succeeded in cleaning up the abuse problems in 1995
when the human touch was still feasible, we would not have the
situation that we have today. Automation is the only way to address
the flood of abuse email, the huge number of people originating
abuse, and the agile tactics of the abusers.

I agree with this and with pretty much everything else you wrote.

But...

If an operation is permitting itself to be such a systemic, persistent
source of abuse that the number of abuse reports it's receiving (which
everyone knows is tiny fraction of the number it *could* be receiving)
requires automation...isn't that a pretty good sign that whatever's
being done to control abuse isn't working?

The solution to that isn't to put in place higher levels of automation:
the solution to to that is to *solve the underlying problems* so that
higher levels of automation aren't necessary.

---Rsk