nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question on Loosely Synchronized Router Clocks

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:37:04 -0700

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:22:12 -0400
From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:28:45 PDT, Kevin Oberman said:
I had a router that lost it's NTP servers and was off by about 20
minutes. The only obvious problem was the timestamps in syslog. (That's
what alarmed to cause us to notice and fix it.)

Trying to correlate logfiles with more than a several-second offset is
good and sufficient reason in itself to make sure everything is NTP-synched.

So to bring the conversation to something more sequitur and relevant.

1) Its not hard <tm> to keep all of your devices in your network sync'd
to the same clock. Especially if you use standardized configuration
control.

2) And a reasonable number is on the order of seconds (or ~1 second)
rather than minutes which is almost the same as being unsynch'd.

3) It is not guaranteed, but not hard to be sync'd to a level of
precision on the order of a second or two using globally-available NTP
sources to every other network you might directly connect with.

I'm slightly suspicious of all the CDMA/atomic clock other NTP sources
(for "higher precision") people point their IP gear at -- simply because
IP doesn't need the same level of precision as SONET, at least, not yet.

[exclusions for my suspicion include any NTP sources I run, but that's
merely hubris ;)].

True atomic clocks are only of value for disciplining time, but atomic
time references tend to be a bit more accurate than GPS or anything else
of which I am aware. CDMA actually gets its time reference from GPS, gut
it is pretty accurate. I believe the spec calls for <1 usec error,
although the receiver still needs to allow for propagation delay to be
REALLY accurate.

I have a mesh of NTP servers spread across the US that keep time within
5 usec based on CDMA clocks, but the operators of the CDMA clocks (cell
phone providers) are often rather slow in handling leap seconds. Took
weeks before the 1 second offset disappeared from all of them.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)