nanog mailing list archives

Re: Misguided SPAM Filtering techniques

From: "Al Iverson" <aiversonlists () spamresource com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:32:05 -0500

On 10/22/07, Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com> wrote:

On 10/22/07, William Herrin <herrin-nanog () dirtside com> wrote:

Do you publish SPF records so that remote sites can detect forgeries
claiming to be from your domain?

In other words "Do you play russian roulette with your email"?

John Levine's got something really good on this at
http://www.circleid.com/posts/spf_loses_mindshare/

My take on it matches that of some of the commenters there...until
DKIM is used far and wide, and everybody catches up to using it, SPF
and Sender ID serve a useful purpose, and I would personally recommend
implementation for anyone sending email for any purpose.

Yes, it breaks forwarding.

Regards,
Al Iverson
--