nanog mailing list archives

Re: FBI tells the public to call their ISP for help

From: Fred Baker <fred () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:30:59 -0700

On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Kevin Day wrote:

I've never tried it, but I've heard that they've been surprisingly helpful, even in cases where it was obviously not Microsoft's fault (directly, anyway). I'm not 100% positive that their policy explicitly allows OEM license holders to use that number, but from those I've talked to that have used it - they don't ask for any license information at all. After they've verified it fits their definition of a security problem, you're handed over to a tech to help you clean it up.

It is my understanding that they even support pirated software in this context; they figure it's better to fix the stuff and then figure out how to get the right stuff there than to wenge about its pedigree.