nanog mailing list archives

RE: Security gain from NAT

From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb () netcases net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 15:28:17 -0400

I'm sure everyone understands the underlying principle, but I'm constantly
making the point that even the best firewall is not a total security
solution. Forget antivirus, IDS, host authentication, etc., and just look on
the perimeter.

At least four device types lead inside from the DMZ:
   NAT
   Firewalls of various flavors
   VPN concentrators/security gateways
   Rate-limiting anti-DOS devices to protect host-to-host encryption

For small and medium enterprises, these functions might, as an
implementation choice, reside in the same box; NAT is most likely to coexist
with firewalling or VPN concentration. The latter gets a little Zen-ish if
the VPN concentrator acts as a separately addressed proxy anyway.