nanog mailing list archives

Re: Security gain from NAT (was: Re: Cool IPv6 Stuff)

From: Joe Abley <jabley () ca afilias info>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:47:06 -0400

On 4-Jun-2007, at 14:32, Jim Shankland wrote:

Shall I do the experiment again where I set up a Linux box
at an RFC1918 address, behind a NAT device, publish the root
password of the Linux box and its RFC1918 address, and invite
all comers to prove me wrong by showing evidence that they've
successfully logged into the Linux box?

Perhaps you should run a corresponding experiment whereby you set up a linux box with a globally-unique address, put it behind a firewall which blocks all incoming traffic to that box, and issue a similar invitation.

Do you think the results will be different?

Joe