nanog mailing list archives

Re: death of the net predicted by deloitte -- film at 11

From: Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:05:07 +0000

I never quite understood why layered multicast never took off which would
solved the problems you state above.  There have been so many research
papers on the subject from the late 90s that I would have thought that by
now IPmc would be the silver bullet for video distribution.

as i said earlier, for intranet use, ip multicast is all the rage for video
content.  i'm fairly sure it was in use at my hotel in cairo last week, and
i know it's been deployed in a number of "digital television" networks in
asia.  it's internet multicast (idmr) that never happened, and as far as i
can tell, that's because there's no billing or business model for it.