nanog mailing list archives

Re: shim6 @ NANOG

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:08:03 -0800

--On March 6, 2006 12:46:51 PM +0100 Iljitsch van Beijnum
<iljitsch () muada com> wrote:

On 6-mrt-2006, at 3:52, Roland Dobbins wrote:

fixed geographic allocations (another nonstarter for reasons which
have been elucidated previously)

What I hear is "any type of geography can't work because network
topology != geography". That's like saying cars can't work because  they
can't drive over water which covers 70% of the earth's surface.

No, it's more like saying "Cars which can't operate off of freeways
won't work" because there are a lot of places freeways don't go.
Hmmm... Come to think of it, I haven't seen anyone selling a car
which won't operate off of a freeway.

Early proposals for doing any geographic stuff were fatally flawed  but
there is enough correlation between geography and topology to  allow for
useful savings. Even if it's only at the continent level  that would
allow for about an 80% reduction of routing tables in the  future when
other continents reach the same level of multihoming as  North America
and Europe.

I've got no opposition to issuing addresses based on some geotop. design,
simply because on the off chance it does provide useful aggregation, why
not.  OTOH, I haven't seen anyone propose geotop allocation as a policy
in the ARIN region (hint to those pushing for it).

Owen