nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:31:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Christian Kuhtz wrote:
Marshall Eubanks wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:41:51 -0400
John Payne <john () sackheads org> wrote:
On Sep 12, 2005, at 6:58 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
I'll be blunt.  As long as that question is up in the air, none of
the major content providers are going to do anything serious in the
IPv6 arena.
Well, I have no evidence of them doing anything with IPv6 anyway, so I
don't know if this makes a difference.
I have a very strong feeling that part of the lack of content providers
on IPv6 is due to the lack of multihoming.

No, I would say it is due to the lack of an audience that can _only_  be reached
(or even _best_ be reached) using IPv6.

Once the audience is there, the content providers will follow.

Same issue really.  Audience isn't going to mature until those issues
are sorted.

so.... 'chicken and egg' problem, which was why a month ago I said: "why
don't some content providers put up some form of their content on a
sidelined v6 path?" Perhaps a 'testing' path or a 'not wholey production'
path?

Some of the answers were enligtening (to me atleast)...

anyway, this has been some good discussion, and 2 more people are now on
shim6 :)