nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 news

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 03:03:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:

"I told them dudes to forklift their network" is hardly productive.

IPv6 is not a forklift upgrade.

agreed, it's a measured engineered decision hopefully. backed by financial
and prudent engineering decisions. that wasn't the tone of the orignial
comment though, which was: "Yea, I told them to just do it" which is
tantamount to 'forklift your network you dummies'.

Showing, if folks can't find it themselves, that there is a business
case
that would justify a few million dollar upgrade is...

Again, it is cheaper to ease into IPv6 rather than waiting until
it hutrts so bad that you have a business case for a million dollar
spend. Start by making sure that your engineers get some IPv6 training

sure, most folks are doing this... (or atleast quite a few are) and at a
certain time it's time to go from 'research' to 'production'. At that time
it'd be prudent to address the financial reasons to 'go production',
which is: "who's going to pay for this? What customer demand is there for
this? uhm... why should I jeopardize my network for this now?"

Hopefully other folks can make their
beancounters understand that v6 is going to happen regardless of their
wishes for it NOT to happen due to upgrade costs.

The time to prepare is now.

agreed, some of the reason I asked a month ago about content providers :)
also some of the reason I then said: "perhaps shim6 and multihoming is
important to operators, better pay attention!" (I'm certainly not the
only one saying these, I just don't want to drag other folks down with me
:) )

When I read the Geoff Huston's response to Tony Hain's
analysis here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_8-3/ipv4.html
I don't see him saying that we should do nothing. There
seems to be general consensus among these guys that
the time for action is now. If you want the IPv6 transition
to be painless for your company, then you need to get
planning and get IPv6 in your test labs today.

(and finding a business case that flies with management to actually do
something higher in priority than all the other daily work)