nanog mailing list archives

Re: Deploying 6to4 outbound routes at the border (was Re: IPv6 news)

From: Todd Vierling <tv () duh org>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:45:33 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Daniel Roesen wrote:

It's as simple as setting up a route to 2002::/16 at the border
with a 6to4 conversion.

The problem is building a high performance gateway. Currently you have
about the following two options:

a) set up / configure a Cisco used as 6to4 gateway
b) set up a dedicated host (Unix box) as 6to4 gateway

Approach a) is good for only few traffic, really.

<reminiscence>
You know, I still barely remember when I thought IOS could do just about
anything efficiently.  Wow, have times changed.
</reminiscence>

Maybe to start -- but again, what kind of 6to4 traffic level are we
expecting yet?  It's the chicken and egg all over again.

Approach b) is more complex.

Yes, unfortunately.

I'm waiting for vendor J to enable option c)... implementing 6to4 via
the Tunnel PIC (or other PICs including the Tunnel PIC functionalities
like Link Services PIC). It's a very simple translation/encapsulation
which doesn't require any state keeping, shouldn't be a big deal. I can
imagine a few larger IPv6 ISPs then suddenly implementing 6to4 gateways.

The only thing that makes 6to4 more complex, compared to a plain IPIP (or
GRE, or any other point-to-point vanilla tunnel protocol) tunnel is that the
far-side endpoint changes based on the tunneled payload.

That said, it should *not* be an unsurmountable problem -- if the demand is
there.  Has anyone seen if the chicken laid the hatching egg yet?