nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

From: Daniel Golding <dgolding () burtongroup com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:29:56 -0400

On 10/6/05 10:30 AM, "Randy Bush" <randy () psg com> wrote:

Is being a tier-1 now a good or bad sales argument when
selling internet access ?
Its a great sales argument. That's why everyone claims to be
one. It just sounds SO good. And its not like the Peering
Police are going to enforce it.  What does it mean in real
life? Nothing. Nada. An organization's SFI status is a
particularly poor criteria for choosing a transit
provider. There are so many better factors to use - support,
packet loss, price, latency, availability, provisioning speed
- you name it, its a better criteria than SFI status.

packet loss and latency to *where*?  before replying, consider
that most of a leaf's traffic is either to/from another leaf of
a tier-1 to which they're (possibly indirectly) downstream, or
to/from the tree of a tier-1 which peers with the tier-1 to
which they're attached.

Consider this: A Tier 1 (SFI network) with congested peering links vs a
non-SFI network with wide open transit pipes. I know I'd pick the latter.

Latency when all inter-network links are uncongested is going to be pretty
low in any case.

if tier-n, where n > 1, is buying transit from tier-1s, which
they have to do, then the price game seems to be pretty
determined unless one likes to run at a loss or is cross-
subsidizing from some other product line.

all your bases are belong to us. :-)

randy

Dan