nanog mailing list archives

Re: Underscores in host names

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:40:32 +1000 (EST)

In article <Pine.LNX.4.60.0505180849230.24969 () hermes-1 csi cam ac uk> you write:

There are also mail domains to consider. They have superficially the same
syntax as host names (they cannot have a trailing dot) but they are
generally checked much more strictly for conformance to that syntax. I'm
not sure whether the original post was about a mail domain or the name of
a mail host, but if it was the former I would be surprised if the customer
could claim that it works most of the time.

        Hostnames can't have a dot at the end either.  The dot at the
        end is a local resolver indication to not use the search list.

        Mark