nanog mailing list archives

Re: Underscores in host names

From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall () ehsco com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:29:39 -0400

Paul Vixie wrote:

putting these checks in for master zones, slave zones, and response
data was a significant over-reach on my part.  THAT is what i'm
apologizing for here. (and THAT is what CERT had asked me to do, since
changing gethostbyaddr() would not, by itself, have protected Sendmail
from newlines in its qf* files.)

Alright then. Personally I've found them useful at different times in
different places but that's some hair-splitting neither of us is
particularly interested in.

just because you own an A RR doesn't make you a hostname.

just because you're pointed to by an MX RR doesn't make you a mailname.

(what a relief to finally be able to say that.)

At the risk of hair-splitting that I've already disclaimed, I'll halfway
agree (a host that doesn't accept connections arguably isn't a host) and
halfway disagree (the target of an MX must be a valid hostname). To ensure
that this thread dies now, I'll point out that I categorized some of this
as part of my second stab at the great white whale of i18n DNS [see
http://www.ehsco.com/misc/I-Ds/draft-hall-dns-datatypes-00.txt which
ensures nobody comes back]