nanog mailing list archives

Re: Underscores in host names

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 21:31:36 -0400

In article <1116377042.592906.137650 () g44g2000cwa googlegroups com> you write:
Hello all.
We have a client containing an underscore in the email address domain
name.  Our email server rejects it because of it's violation of the RFC
standard.  This individuals claim is that he doesn't have problems
anywhere else and if this is going to be a problem he's "going to take
his business elsewhere"!

I understand it's a violation of the standard, but does it pose a
security hole to the email server to allow this sort of mail?

No *security* hole as such, other than you need to make sure that if you're
going to accept such cruft, you make *damned* sure that you never leak it
back out and have some *other* standard-conformant site get on *your* case
about it....

Oh, and make sure that none of *your* automated tools that summarize maillogs
and the like choke on it. And that your e-mail admin is using software that
doesn't choke on it (otherwise if they send you e-mail, you can't reply.. ;)

You may want to balance the costs of making sure that *all* your stuff is
underscore-ready  (don't forget ongoing maintenance costs, as you'll probably
have to re-patch each new release of any tools) against what this customer is
willing to pay you.