nanog mailing list archives

Re: 72/8 friendly reminder

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:14:10 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Randy Bush wrote:

ARIN is in a unique position to be able to do something to at
least try to mitigate the problem without too much effort before
handing "damaged IP space" out to members.

damaged?  so you will do your bit to undamage unused ip space by
not bogon filtering on your network?

I don't do bogon filtering.  I do take a bogon route feed from team cymru,
but that won't stop me from reaching any announced subnets within "bogon
space"[1].  And cymru has been pretty good about keeping up with the
changes wrt what's a bogon and what's not.

What I will do, next time we get space from ARIN (which I suspect isn't
too far off) is setup 72box (or whatever /8 they're allocating from now)
and repeat the exercise I did with 69/8 space so I have some idea where
the idiot networks are (and try contacting them) before we start using or
assigning IP's from that space.

[1] at least not until cisco adds a feature allowing you to ignore new BGP
routes for subnets of a bogon feed.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |