nanog mailing list archives

Re: High volume WHOIS queries

From: "Larry J. Blunk" <ljb () merit edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:00:27 -0500

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 16:40 -0600, Jeff Bartig wrote:

On 2/28/05 1:30 PM, "Dan Lockwood" <dlockwood () shastacoe org> wrote:

I'm in a disagreement with ARIN about my application for bulk whois
data.  I've got a software program that needs resolve AS numbers to the
Company Name of the owner.  The software app has need to do this on a
very high volume.  E.g.  I run a report that returns the top 100 AS
destinations for my network and I want to resolve the numbers to the
names as part of the report generation.  Since ARIN throttles the number
of queries that you can execute against their servers I seems to "just
make sense" that you would do the processing using local data.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but how about

ftp://ftp.arin.net/info/asn.txt

Lists AS number, the whois AS name, and POC handle for each AS.

Jeff

  If you are also interested in AS info outside the ARIN region,
the following file may be of interest --

    http://bgp.potaroo.net/as1221/asnames.txt

 -Larry