nanog mailing list archives

RE: High volume WHOIS queries

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:43:10 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
Paul G
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:22 AM
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: High volume WHOIS queries

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
To: "Paul G" <paul () rusko us>; <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:17 AM

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu
[mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
Paul G
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 5:03 AM
To: nanog () merit edu

--- snip ---

point - they're trying to restrict the practicality of
attempting to harvest
the data and an open to the public whois server with no
access restrictions
would defeat that.

I don't know that this is the case, I suspect it's
resource management. If the database is getting
slaughtered by applications on uncontrolled auto pilot,
it's unusable for the rest of us.

well, the OP quoted a portion of the aup that requires bulk
whois data recipients to take measures to prevent harvesting,
so i presume that arin does care about that and, in fact, that
consideration is likely the reason they declined to permit the
OP to run *his own* whoisd off of his *local* copy of the data.

The AUP also says for "internet operational or research
purposes only." Maybe they don't consider the use to fit
in the defintion?

There's an easier fix, IMO. Run a two stage query, 50
and 50, and then append the second 50 to the bottom of
the first.

-M<

-M<