nanog mailing list archives

Re: sorbs.net

From: "Paul G" <paul () rusko us>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:44:41 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Kulawiec" <rsk () gsp org>
To: <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: sorbs.net

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:21:35AM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
  o could this be used as a dos and then become extortion?

Unlikely.  Blocklists are used by choice, and blocklists which
either aren't effective or don't have sane policies don't get
chosen often.  (See "BLARS", which even blars was recommending
that you don't use the last time I checked.)

unfortunately, that *still* didn't stop people from using it, which
translated into an unresolvable headache for me as a sp. if you don't
consider a blacklist to be usable by the public, don't publish it. however,
publishing a draconian blacklist seems to get you a 'hardcore' label/clout
in certain circles and is thus irresistible for some.

-p