nanog mailing list archives

Re: More long AS-sets announced

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:44:21 +0100

June 15th: Lorenzo gives us 24 hours notice that he is going to be using
our (a very general our here, meaning all Internet operators) network for
performing his experiments on. (oh, and points out that hes been doing the
same with IPv6 since last year, just unannounced, but thats okay because
noone noticed)

June 15th: Those that check their email frequently enough to spot this ask
Lorenzo for at least a week notice before doing this in future.

June 20th: Lorenzo gives us same day notice that he will be using our
network as his plaything again. Anyone sufficiently behind Lorenzo in the
grand scheme of things (either they have better things to do than read
their email all day, or perhaps they're on the west coast USA) won't even
know about this until it is too late. If something strange happens I'm not
sure everyone will suddenly think better check to see if Lorenzo is
playing again.

I see the use of the Internet for experiments like this to be somewhat
frivilous, and the notice periods given as warning even more so. I'm sure
Lorenzo would not appreciate if I were to give 20 minutes warning of some
clandestine experiment, such as announcing more specifics of his
institutions prefixes as particularly helpful!

he is announcing his own bleedin' prefixes.  get a life

randy