nanog mailing list archives

RE: Localized mail servers, global scope

From: "Andrew Staples" <andrews () ltinet net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:29:05 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu

The problem he's going to hit is that he wants *my* mail
server to send mail to
'fred () example com' to get routed to the MX in San Fran where
Fred is, and *my*
mail server to send mail 'johann () example com' to get routed
to the MX in Geneva
where Johann is, and avoid having a central MX that then does routing.

And basically, he's screwed, because the MX lookup is only
based on the RHS
of the target address.  AT *best* he can deploy a
@NN.example.com and have
different MX entries for US.example.com and FR.example.com
and so on (but he
already said that's a suboptimal).

Valdis has present the situation perhaps better than I did in my original
post.  The replies have confirmed my thoughts, but I wanted to probe the
brighter-minds-than-mine that exist on this list.  The women in my life
expect me to read their minds...with the RFC's I'm based on, it should be
easy for DNS to read mine.

Andrew (morphs nicely into Anscrewed)