nanog mailing list archives

Re: Two Tiered Internet

From: "Per Heldal" <heldal () eml cc>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:06:20 +0100

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:41:54 -0800 (PST), "David Barak"
<thegameiam () yahoo com> said:
--- Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:
Simple. You give the consumer the ability to fiddle
with
the QoS settings on the provider's edge router
interface.
After all, they are paying for the access link.

eeek!  I assume you mean "tell the customer what
DSCP/whatever settings you honor, and let them do the
marking" right?  The thought of letting customers
actually make changes to my edge routers would keep me
up at night...

To let customers decide priorities in your backbone is a bad idea, but I
don't think that's the issue here. Assuming the customer's link to the
network to be the primary bottleneck; there's nothing wrong with giving
customers the ability to prioritise traffic on their link, provided that
your access-equipment is able to handle queueing etc (given fool-proof
mechanisms that enable self-service and keep your NOC out of the loop of
course;).

//per
--
  Per Heldal