nanog mailing list archives

Re: Two Tiered Internet

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:04:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
Thus spake "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
users might switch to alternate access methods. That works as
long as there are alternate access methods, and as long as the
telecom's don't 'cabal' and all do the same hideously bad thing...

Congress appears to be working hard to make sure that happens.

I hope that congress doesn't allow all the telcos to decide to do the same
bad thing at the same bad time... I suppose they might though :( They've
been known to do some stupid things with respect to 'Internet' stuff.

I do think it'd be funny for SBC or BS to do this sort of thing and get
massive customer loss when their customers defect to cable
modem networks.

Do you really think the cablecos will be significantly less evil than the
telcos?  I'm not as optimistic about the result of a legislated duopoly.

So far they seem to be not quite so evil (minus their port blocking for
some services, and rate-shaping for other services)... I used them as an
example though, really so long as there is another game in town
(competition) think the SBC/BS proposals will not last very long. At the
very least I'd bet that they won't garner the profits that the SBC/BS
execs are hoping will arrive.